Job Title: Development Associate, Database Management
Brooklyn, NY United States
Development and Fund Raising
Development Associate, Database Management
Start Date: Immediate
Location: Flexible with preference for NY, CT, RI
About Achievement First
Achievement First (AF) is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization that currently supports 41 public charter schools in New York, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. AF has consistently been rated one of the top charter school networks in the country, and we are still learning and growing. The majority of our students are Black and Latinx children from low-income families who will be the first in their families to graduate from college. We currently employ more than 2,000 staff — 47% of whom identify as Black, Latino/x, or Multi-racial — who collectively educate nearly 15,000 students in Brooklyn, NY; Providence, RI; and New Haven, Bridgeport, and Hartford CT.
The mission of Achievement First is to deliver on the promise of equal educational opportunity for all of America’s children. We know that every child—regardless of race, zip code, or economic status—deserves access to great schools. At AF, our students realize their potential and develop the skills they need to graduate from college, succeed in a competitive world, and serve as the next generation of leaders in our community. At the core of our approach is the shared journey by our students and staff to fulfill our incredible potential. For more information about the Achievement First mission, model, our schools and team, please visit our website at www.achievementfirst.org.
We are looking for a strategic and results-driven Development Associate to join our team.
Team Development supports the growth and sustainability of Achievement First’s schools and network. We develop and maintain relationships with contributors – both foundations and individuals – to fundraise in excess of $16 million annually. Team Development’s efforts include raising philanthropy to support the following activities at Achievement First:
● The growth of our network and funding new schools until they reach full enrollment and benefit from economies of scale to be self-sufficient on public funding
● Bridge the gap between inequitable public funding and the operations of our schools
● Bolster our core operations
● Help to secure, renovate, and maintain school buildings
● Innovation at our schools and at the network through special projects and initiatives
The Development Associate, Database Management maintains Team Development’s donor database, including entry of all gifts, generation of acknowledgement letters, and reconciliation of development and finance records to ensure accuracy. In addition, the associate plays a critical role in the strategy and implementation of our bi-annual appeal campaigns and regular electronic communications with donors. The Associate will also manage our online giving platform and serve as liaison to the vendor.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
● Ensure accurate entry and gift allocation for all donations (checks, credit card, stock, donor-advised fund) for individual, foundation and corporate giving in Salesforce database
● Generate and proofread thank you letters and tax receipts for all gifts
● Conduct regular reconciliation of development and finance records to ensure alignment and consistent gift allocation and run standard and custom reports for reporting (internal and external) on progress toward goal and audit support purposes
● Assist team leadership in creating and maintaining stewardship calendar and provide ongoing database management, ensuring stewardship outreach is accurately tracked in database
● Segment donor lists and assist in determining mail and email segmentation strategy and criteria (i.e., gift size, giving history, interest area, etc.) and produce mailing/distribution lists, mail merges and labels, ensuring all salutations, ask amounts, addresses and other custom information within direct mail or email correspondence is accurate
● Manage team’s email distribution list and send regular electronic communications via MailChimp
● Manage team’s online giving platform (Classy), developing campaign pages, thank yous and reporting in partnership with team leadership and Team Strategic Communications
● Provide database training for staff
An ideal candidate will demonstrate competency in the following areas:
● Bachelor's degree, or high school diploma/GED with commensurate experience
● At least 2 years of relevant experience supporting development/fundraising in a similarly fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
● Experience with donor database management (Salesforce strongly preferred)
● Highly organized, with superior attention to detail and the ability to manage, prioritize and ensure the completion of multiple projects
● Excellent research skills along with proven track record of setting priorities and meeting deadlines
● Prior experience with email marketing platforms (MailChimp preferred), a plus
In addition, the following characteristics are required to be successful on this team:
● Self-starter, able to work independently and collaboratively
● Problem-solver and resourceful in pursuit of outcomes
● Belief in and passion for the Achievement First mission and educational model
● Healthy curiosity about all aspects of Achievement First, eager to learn more about and support the larger mission and vision by engaging in network opportunities outside of Team Development
● Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor and “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude
Apply by completing our online application form found here.
Achievement First requires vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees. Reasonable accommodations based on a qualifying disability or sincerely held religious belief are being considered in accordance with applicable law. Copy link below and paste into your browser to read our full policy.
Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: http://achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/